Thursday, March 28, 2013

Theme Thursday: Hats Galore!

I've had a really bad case of "but I don't wanna"s for the last month. This happens to me a lot when I'm working on a big project that I'm excited about, but still have to find the time for the daily things that I need to do. Like plan story time. Which is why it was 9:45 this morning before I decided on a theme for my 10:30 story time and started grabbing books and frantically making a flannel set. We went with "hats." Alas, my beloved Millie's Marvelous Hats is too long for my preschool crowd, but I was able to find some good substitutes.

Song: Good Morning Dear Earth

Finger Play: I Had a Little Turtle

Song: Open, Shut Them

Book: The Magic Hat by Mem Fox


Flannel: 5 Little Ducks

Song: Grand Old Duke of York

Song: Shake My Sillies Out from The Singable Songs Collection (20th Anniversary Special Edition)

Book: I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen


Song: If You're Happy and You Know It

Flannel: Who's Hat is That?

Song: Turn Around from Getting to know Myself

Make and Take Crafts: Visor Hats

We had a bunch of foam visors in a file cabinet I labeled "Foam Junk," if you don't have an excess supply of foam junk, check out the pirate hats we made a few months ago.


Supplies:
-foam visors
 -glitter glue
-pipe cleaners

Process: After story time we all gathered around the craft table and I handed out visors, glitter glue and pipe cleaners. The pipe cleaners are very easy to stick through the foam visors, so you could make extra hair or springy coils coming out of the top. Most kids just used the visors and a canvas for experimenting with glitter glue.


Time: Prep took 2 minutes (most of which was spent finding the visors) and the craft took about 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment