Friday, February 15, 2013

Flannel Friday: Mitten Mates

 The weather here has been sporadic; it's almost spring, but winter is still holding on with everything its got. So while it's still chilly enough outside for coats and gloves and hats I wanted to share one of our favorite flannel games- mitten mates.

I start with a bunch of single mittens up on the board, then I hand out their pairs to kids in the room and give everyone a good chance to see where their mate is.


The we sing the song. It's to the tune of Farmer in the Dell and goes like this 

"Each mitten has a mate
Each mitten has a mate
Can you find the pair?
You're looking here and everywhere,
Can you find the pair?"

If I know all of the names for the kids who are holding mittens I'll substitute their name into the song, inviting them to come up and put their mitten with its match. Otherwise pointing works just fine.


 When the song gets boring (sometimes you have to go through a few rounds to make sure everyone who wants to gets a chance to come up) I'll hand out all the mittens and start asking specific questions about the color and shapes of the mittens. So I'll ask for all the mittens with stripes on them and the four kids with these will come up.



Flannel Friday is hosted this week by Katie at Storytime Katie. Information on Flannel Friday (and the upcoming birthday celebration!) is at the official website.

3 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I can't imagine having a storytime intimate enough to allow for individual children to come up to the flannel board - well, unless I only had a select few volunteers. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing!! We are doing a hat and mittens storytime next week. I already have mittens made up (from another flannel) that we can sing this song to,and make matches. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have mittens already, so will definitely use this song - what a fun activity!

    ReplyDelete