Friday, July 27, 2012

Flannel Friday: Yee-Haw

I think this poem is called "Dress the Cowboy" but because I used so many ridiculous colors to make his clothes, I've been calling it "The Colorful Cowboy" in my head. I made a few minor adjustments to the rhyme, eliminated the red underwear and added in the color before whatever the object is, but basically it remains the same as the original.

I'm in the record as thinking felt people are creepy, but there wasn't an easy way to get out of this one, so I went as creepy as possible. The head is purple felt with bright green embroidery. It took about half an hour in front of the tv one night, but clip art would work just as well if you're so inclined.

"So this is our cowboy you guys. Is he ready to head out and spend a day on the range? No! He doesn't have a body! You're right. Well, we better help him get dressed. Can you guys do that? Yes! Let's go."

 


"Out in the dessert you don't want to get hurt, 
so this cowboy wears a yellow wool SHIRT"



"Deserts and praries are a cowboy's scene
So on his legs he wears sturdy blue JEANS"



"The cowboy ran, bent and knelt,
So to keep his pants up he wears a strong red BELT"



"The coyote howls and the old owl hoots,
On his feet this cowboy wears bright green BOOTS"



"Are we done? We're missing one thing. What's the last thing a cowboy needs before he goes out for the day?

Yup, a cowboy is a cowboy and that is that
On his head he wears a yellow 10 gallon HAT"

"Great job you guys, this cowboy is ready to go out for the day. Give yourselves a round of applause"

AND

Using flannel pieces I already had (plus one white square) I was able to add some interest to this finger play.



I gave my horse an apple 
And she gave me a neigh



I gave my horse a carrot
And she turned her head this way


I gave my horse a lump of sugar
She gave me a smile
And took me on a ride that lasted half a mile!

Amanda at Toddler Tales is hosting this week's round-up. If you want to learn more about Flannel Friday, visit the awesome blossom website.

1 comment:

  1. Very colorful cowboy and horse! I have not heard either of these rhymes before. I am adding them to our collection. Thank you!

    Hope you are having a lovely weekend!
    ~K~

    ReplyDelete