Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Revamping the Blog

You my have noticed last week that I went off my usual Monday, Wednesday, Friday posting schedule.

You may have noticed that it has continued this week.

And if you're really perceptive, you may have noticed that my "About This Blog" page has changed pretty dramatically.

From my new and improved "About This Blog" page:

Some would say 4 months is too soon for a blog to need a new voice. To those people, I say "HA, just watch me."

For those of you who were reading for my scandalous tales of misbehaving youth, I'm sorry. Send me an e-mail and I'll tell you lots of good stories. Promise.

For those of you who were reading because you love my craft projects oh so much and can't wait to see what I'll devote way too much of my free time with next, I'm starting a new blog for that. Again, send me an e-mail and I'll hook you up with the url.

As always you can reach me at inthechildrensroom@gmail.com or on Twitter at @lucymaudm


Why the new direction? Well, I had a series of interviews over the last few weeks for a position in a different library system. I didn't end up getting the job, which was heartbreaking in itself (a lot of my very close friends work there and it would have been wonderful to see them every day and to learn from them as I continue growing professionally.)

But worse than not being offered the job was the feeling that I wasn't showing them all I could do. I answered their questions and even did a sample story time but I felt like it wasn't enough. I wanted to tell them about this blog. To show them the flannel board sets that I make and how they work within the context of a story time. To show them the book reviews and the projects that we try to do with our kids. But there was a lot of cursing. And so many of my side projects.

The blog as it was didn't offer a cohesive look at what I'm capable of in a library setting. It didn't serve as a portfolio. Hopefully, with these few changes I'll have something that I'm proud to show potential employers, will chart my growth as a librarian, and will serve as a resource for other librarians looking for ideas.

And if you read all of that, thank you and welcome to the shiny new version of In the Children's Room

1 comment:

  1. I think you're doing a swell job highlighting some of your awesome skills, thank you for sharing! You have given me some great ideas to try for my storytime, although I can say my crafting skills are quite poor and I make use of a lot of clip art!

    As someone who also had a recent interview and didn't get a job, it's hard to be able to show to the powers that be, all that you're capable of, but at least they now know more about you.

    Chin up and may there be bigger and better things in your future!

    ReplyDelete