Friday, March 30, 2012

Flannel Friday: Five Astronauts at Play

Psst, want to know a secret? Katie from Story Time Secrets and I work at the same system. Last December I got to go to a story time training she did at an all staff day event and I've been cannibalizing her flannel boards ever since. This one was one of my favorites and what'dya know? It fits in with the summer reading "Dream Big. Read." theme.

It's a version of the One Elephant Went Out to Play song, but with astronauts and the moon instead of elephants and spiderwebs:


One astronaut went out to play, 
upon the great big moon one day,
He had such enormous fun,
That he called for another astronaut to come

2,3,4,5

By the time the last astronaut is playing on the moon, there's no more room to add any any more. So I stop singing and ask the kids if any more can come play, and where would they go? Everybody says "Nooooooo" like I'm a big silly and we sing the last verse:

Five astronauts went out to play,
Upon the great big moon one day.
They had such enormous fun,
But there weren't any more astronauts to come.

I was worried that you couldn't tell he was supposed to be an astronaut, so I added the cuff embellishments and the rocket emblem on his chest. After the first time using it though, I got feedback from a parent that from a distance they look exactly like astronauts even though she couldn't tell what the rocket was supposed to be. I guess I had just been looking at the pieces too closely. 

                                    
This is my first year planning summer reading and it appears that I'm a lot behind. In the past week we've gotten the schedule for special guest performers and I've started brainstorming programs ideas, with a specific focus on our kick-off party. I'm sure more night time flannels are forthcoming and I'll keep posting those as they come up.

No comments:

Post a Comment