Friday, February 24, 2012

Not Quite Flannel Friday: Karma Karma Chameleon

This was my first attempt at a folder story.

I love Leo Lionni's A Color of His Own and used to get really good reactions when I did it at story time. Our library's only copy though is a board book and not suitable for sharing with bigger groups.

It's a pretty standard folder story. The only thing extra I did was cover the outside of the folder and the bottom of the first few pages inside with black construction paper. That way the second chameleon can stay hidden until it's time for the first one to meet him.

"Everything has a color of its own. Except
chameleons.
When they're standing on
lemons, they're yellow..."



"...In heather, they're purple. And standing on
a striped tiger's tail, they're striped. Just like the tiger."


Here's our hero, standing in the spring's
green grass, meeting the older and wiser
chameleon who is standing in pink flowers
for the purpose of my folder.



And they lived happily ever after.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this book! I used a similar folder setup when I taught preschool years and years ago. Thanks for reminding me of it. I need to pull it out and use it again.

    I also think my storytime friends would enjoy making a smaller version of their own as a take-home craft. :-) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete