Saturday, November 12, 2011

Family Story Time

Starting today on the second Saturday of each month I'm offering a Family Story Time at the library. It's aimed at getting parents who work during the day to come into the library with their kids and also at attracting neighborhood kids that are in daycare or preschool during normal story time hours.

I had one new kid today, an older sister of one of my regulars, but I was really happy to see a lot more dads than usual and some new moms with my familiar babies.

Since this was the first day of a new program, I pulled out all the stops and went pretty rapid-fire with things I know work. I'll leave experimenting with new material for weekday story times for now. I think I went a little long, by the last book attention and little bodies were starting to wander over to the toys and coloring in different parts of the room.

Here's what we did today:

Song: Good Morning Dear Earth (I start every story time with this song)
Poem: I Had a Little Turtle
Book: Silly Sallyby Audrey Wood
Flannel Board: 5 Little Ducks
Song: The Wheels on the Bus
Book: Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoesby Eric Litwin
Rhyme: Where are Baby's Fingers?
Song: You Are My Sunshine
Song: Itsy Bitsy Spider
Flannel Board: Go Away Big Green Monster (from the bookby Ed Emberley
Flannel Board: Fall is Not Easy (from the bookby Marty Kelley)
Rhyme: Big, Big, Big
Song: If You're Happy and You Know It
Book: Jazz Babyby Lisa Wheeler (This is the last book I read in every story time, I use it as a repeat-after-me)
Song: Turn Around (I end every story time with this song off Hap Palmer's CD Getting to Know Myself )

No comments:

Post a Comment